PushBlack is the nation's largest media organization for Black Americans, currently serving 9 million people monthly across all digital media platforms. This includes email and text campaigns, blog content, Instagram and Facebook -- with 5.6 million subscribers on Facebook Messenger alone! In addition, PushBlack produces a podcast called Black History Year (available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and YouTube) which currently generates over 1 million downloads.
While PushBlack has no political affiliation, they do focus on three key political goals: increasing civic engagement, supporting economic prosperity, and challenging the criminal justice system in the best interest of Black Americans. Their programming resulted in the largest digital voter turnout program in the 2018 - 2020 election cycles with the program reaching tens of millions of Black Americans.
PushBlack uses the power of narrative, especially Black History, to educate and activate their subscribers to build their personal power and create lasting economic and political change. PushBlack believes that by providing empowering narratives to the masses, they are putting power in the hands of the people. This has made PushBlack the premier mobile source of information and action for Black folks around the country.
You can learn more about the work PushBlack leads here.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will serve as a critical senior leader charged with leading internal operations and overseeing core functions (Finance, Talent / DEIBA, IT, and Legal). Reporting directly to (and working closely with) the CEO, the COO will help translate PushBlack's strategic vision into a sound operational plan. The COO will directly manage a team of five.
As PushBlack enters its next phase of organizational growth, the COO will play a critical role in designing and implementing the systems, process, and structures to support PushBlack's work. In addition, the COO will be a key culture leader and champion, helping to promote values of Black liberation and a culture rooted in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging across an entirely remote workforce.
The COO role is an exciting opportunity for a highly strategic operational leader who thrives at leading through times of growth and who is energized by developing people and building sound, inclusive organizational cultures. This is a person who deeply understands what motivates people, can engage across many lines of difference, and brings fun (and a healthy dose of humor) to a committed and high-performing team!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In partnership with the CEO, support in the execution of PushBlack's upcoming strategic plan and implement processes, systems, and approaches to achieve it
- Serve as an internal leader of the organization and play a key role in helping to steward PushBlack's commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and accountability; generate and cultivate trust with all staff members
- Manage the organization's day-to-day operations, including organization-wide budgeting and facilitate a OKR (Objectives and Key Results) process with senior leaders of the team
- Ensure staff has clearly defined roles and goals and access to the information and resources necessary to achieve their goals
- Analyze and interpret key programmatic data and organizational metrics, making recommendations based on them
- Investigate and assess, in partnership with senior leaders, new partnerships and programmatic opportunities for PushBlack as the organization scales its impact
Operations & Organizational Management
- Design, improve, and/or implement systems, processes, and structures related to Finance, Talent / DEIBA, IT, and Legal. Including, but not limited to: evaluating and managing PushBlack's budget process, benefits, payroll, performance management, salary evaluations
- Ensure PushBlack remains compliant with all HR regulations, tax filings, and audits
- Build, implement, and maintain systems and processes to support PushBlack's operational infrastructure with an eye towards scale and increased impact
- Establish practices and systems that promote opportunity and professional growth at every level of the organization and evaluate team performance in an effort to identify opportunities that make PushBlack's team and work more impactful
- Identify cross-functional improvements that optimizes the efficacy, efficiency, and future growth of PushBlack's organizational operations breaking down operational silos in an effort to create more effective working partnerships across teams
- In partnership with the CEO, set financial strategy for PushBlack; oversee and lead annual budgeting process, review and administer all financial plans and budgets, and monitor progress and changes
- Working closely with senior leaders, help align their annual budgets and long-term financial plans to key strategic organizational priorities
- Recognize and anticipate opportunities and challenges as they relate to financial matters; generate ideas, strategies, and solutions to drive financial impact
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the CEO, Board of Directors, and all relevant key stakeholder
- Oversee business relationships with financial vendors, including managing PushBlack's external Controller and Accountant working in partnership with them to oversee the organization's finances
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 10 years of professional experience, including experience serving in a senior leadership role; prior work experience in the nonprofit and/or media sectors a plus
- A deep commitment to the liberation of all Black people regardless of economic status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, immigration status, etc. and an authentic passion for PushBlack's work
- Outstanding organizational leadership skills with prior experience leading organizations and/or departments and a demonstrated ability to set sound and inclusive policies and structures
- Experience developing and leading annual budgeting processes with multiple stakeholders
- Experience operationalizing strategic plans and visions into tactical implementation with a comfort operating in ambiguity and driving to clarity whenever possible; enjoys tackling tough problems and believes anything is "figure-out-able"
- Exceptional people skills with demonstrated experience developing and coaching talent all through the lens of diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and accountability
- High degree of emotional intelligence with the ability to build trust and buy-in from a wide array of stakeholders; believes deeply in the importance of human capital and has successfully managed and developed high-performing teams to achieve ambitious results
- Brings strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to organize and interpret data, generate insights, and anticipate challenges and opportunities
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition PushBlack offers great benefits including:
- 100% remote. So whether you love your couch or your desk, it doesn't matter!
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- PTO, Sick, and Holiday Leave, Student loan repayment assistance
- 401K Retirement Savings w/ tiered match
PushBlack is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people are centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.