PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, builds deep, daily relationships with Black Americans through their mobile phones in order to transform Black civic engagement.
PushBlack attracts and engages subscribers through our innovative daily Black history and news service, which is based on Facebook Messenger. With this relationship, PushBlack encourages 4M subscribers (and 8.1M monthly active users) to raise their voices and take action on critical issues, register to vote, and to cast their votes on Election Day.
Take a look at the PushBlack Manifesto to learn more about what we’re doing.
A strong, diligent writer who’s energized about joining our fast-paced editorial team and has a commitment to understanding & solving problems in the Black community.
- Producing 10 stories per week and collaborating with the editorial team to revise and finalize content.
- Learning our unique voice and writing style to ensure continuity across all content.
- Implementing our comprehensive content delivery process to meet 100% of your deadlines.
- Presenting new ideas to editorial team by sourcing current events and other related research to a relevant topic area.
A week in the life of our next Writer:
On Monday, you’re reviewing upcoming deadlines and planning out your schedule to successfully meet them.
On Tuesday & Wednesday, during the full editorial team meeting, you’re presenting several new ideas for topics to feature in future content. You’ve also submitted several stories and have reviewed and edited content produced by other writers.
On Thursday, while drafting a few more stories, you’re applying your own personal knowledge of Black social thought and theory.
On Friday, you’re starting your day with a time sensitive request that came in on Thursday; you stay in touch with your team and provide relevant updates to make sure all expectations are met.
- Extremely high attention to detail - you hate errors!
- Deadline driven - you meet yours and help others do the same
- Outstanding communication skills - consistently clear and thorough
- Tech aptitude - learn quickly and utilize daily
- Knowledge of Black scholars, leaders, and theory
- Similar content published on a Black media platform
- Academic research in Black studies
The couch, a coffee shop, the local coworking space--either way, our team is 100% remote.
Please complete this application to apply for the role. In addition to explaining your interest in this opportunity, your cover letter should address the following questions:
- Which PushBlack Facebook Messenger article/experience has stood out to you the most and why?
- What's the best piece of media (e.g., writing, video, podcast) you consumed this past week regarding Black life and culture?
- Describe a project or initiative you've participated in that directly served the Black community.
PushBlack is housed at Accelerate Change, a project of New Futures Fund, Inc., which is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.