PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, builds deep, daily relationships with Black Americans through their mobile phones in order to transform Black civic engagement.
PushBlack attracts and engages subscribers through our innovative daily Black history and news service, which is based on Facebook Messenger. With this daily relationship, PushBlack encourages 3.8M+ subscribers to raise their voices and take action on critical issues. We continue to explore additional platforms and product lines, including Instagram and offline events.
Take a look at the PushBlack Manifesto to learn more about what we’re doing.
A well-rounded, entrepreneurial leader who moves from tactical to strategic with ease, directly supporting the Executive Director in operations, finance, and talent management. At times, this person will also oversee special projects and initiatives that span departments and teams.
- Managing operational systems and processes related to HR, IT, and Finance.
- Spearheading internal talent development initiatives related to trainings, retreats, and company culture.
- Managing external relationships with vendors, partners, and donors.
- Collaborating cross-functionally with content, tech, operations, and executive team to drive process improvements across the organization.
A week in the life of our next Director of Operations:
On Monday, you’re meeting with our Executive Director to outline priorities for the coming weeks and provide status updates on cross-functional projects. In many cases, you’ll be reporting on HR and Admin process improvements, trends you’re seeing on the team, and recent operational challenges you’ve been troubleshooting.
On Tuesday & Wednesday, you’re drilling down on systems and infrastructure to drive implementation, sifting through internal and external email correspondence, spreadsheets, and research with ease. You’ve got a few funder report deadlines on your plate, so you’ll be gathering team updates and preparing relevant materials.
On Thursday, you’ve reviewed past content and product experiments the team has ran, and updated training materials in preparation for onboarding a new team member. Later on in the day, you’ll dig into a new social media platform the team is considering using to reach more Black-Americans.
On Friday, you’re reading case studies, randomized controlled trial (RCT) reports, and reviewing large data sets to get ready for a few afternoon meetings.
- Extremely high attention to detail - you hate errors!
- Deadline driven - you meet yours and help others do the same
- Outstanding communication skills - consistently clear and thorough
- Tech aptitude - learn quickly and utilize daily
- Excel competency - you know your way around a spreadsheet
- You’ve led organizational transformation projects (e.g., IT, HR, Finance)
- You’ve managed cross-functional remote teams
- The couch, a coffee shop, your local coworking space--either way, our team is 100% remote.
- 20-30% travel
Please complete this application to apply for the role. Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Which PushBlack Facebook Messenger article/experience has stood out to you the most and why?
- Describe a project-based experience in HR, IT, or Finance that has best prepared you for this role.
- What's the best piece of media (e.g., writing, video, podcast, etc.) you consumed this past week regarding Black life and culture?
- Describe a project or initiative you've participated in that directly served the Black community.
PushBlack is housed at Accelerate Change, a project of the New Futures Fund which is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.