PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, builds deep, daily relationships with Black Americans through their mobile phones in order to transform Black civic engagement.
PushBlack attracts and engages subscribers through our innovative daily Black history and news service, which is based on Facebook Messenger. With this daily relationship, PushBlack encourages over 3 million subscribers to raise their voices and take action on critical issues.
Take a look at the PushBlack Manifesto to learn more about what we’re doing.
Do you want to transform Black politics and Black media? Do you get chills thinking about the possible juicy insights you can glean from a large dataset? Are you able to run a program, test, or experiment from start to finish with an “owner” mindset?
A week in the life of our next Product Owner:
On Monday, you define your experiment stack for the week in collaboration with our CTO and create your project plan to get everything done. You understand that your focus is running carefully designed tests on new products, and you must validate (or invalidate) a business hypothesis quickly.
On Tuesday & Wednesday, you’re analyzing data from interviews and surveys you’ve conducted with our subscribers on new product ideas. This data gives you initial indications on the viability of our business hypotheses.
On Thursday, you participate in a morning meeting with a potential partner for branded content; they are excited about moving forward with a sponsorship but need additional data that isn’t yet available before making a final decision. In the afternoon, you design a new experiment to collect this data and make adjustments to your current stack.
On Friday, you rapidly run some demand tests to determine where we should devote advertising resources for Instagram.
Here are some experiments you would lead:
- PushBlack has grown to 3M+ subscribers primarily from subscribers sharing the platform with their friends. We're considering launching a super-sharer rewards program to incentivize more sharing; you'd need to test various tactics and messages to determine what gets subscribers to share more.
- We seek to expand our merchandising efforts. You'd determine whether or not there was a profitable approach to selling merchandise on our site.
- Instagram has skyrocketed in growth and engagement, especially with Black Americans. You'd need to quickly figure out how to build an audience on the platform.
Please note that we continuously look for gaps that we could fill with new business models, new monetization strategies, new organizing techniques, and new technologies. That means that what we’re doing can and should shift as we seek to build innovative, impactful, sustainable solutions to the many challenges our people face. Your flexibility and willingness to contribute new ideas will be critical to our success!
- You’ve launched a social good venture, business, or new program within an organization before and know what it’s like to build something from scratch and weather the ups and downs.
- You buy into the idea that we, the PushBlack team, take subscriber insights seriously and that it’s only after we gather information from them that we can learn what works and what doesn’t work.
- You’ve ran focused, carefully designed tests to understand how to increase impact or revenue, and you’re well versed in at least one experimentation methodology (e.g., lean startup, design thinking, human-centered design, or agile development).
The couch, a coffee shop, the local coworking space--either way, our team is 100% remote.
Please complete this application to upload your resume and answer a few questions:
PushBlack is housed at Accelerate Change, a project of the New Futures Fund which is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.