PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, builds deep, daily relationships with Black Americans through their mobile phones in order to transform Black civic engagement.
PushBlack attracts and engages subscribers through our innovative daily Black history and news service, which is based on Facebook Messenger. With this daily relationship, PushBlack encourages 4M subscribers to raise their voices and take action on critical issues. We continue to explore additional platforms and product lines, including Instagram and offline events.
Take a look at the PushBlack Manifesto to learn more about what we’re doing.
A data-driven professional who can autonomously manage a variety of lean experiments, from experiment design through analysis, to validate (or invalidate) key hypotheses for building profitable products for Black folks. Someone who applies an owner’s mentality to the relentless pursuit of data in a fast-paced environment. This position is 15-20 hours/week for 1-2 months, with the opportunity to extend based on performance and organizational budget.
- Starting from an idea, identifying the riskiest business hypotheses and running a series of experiments to determine if the product is scalable, financially self-sustainable, or both.
- For existing products, running experiments to increase growth, engagement, revenue, and political impact.
- Analyzing data from experiments and tests, including customer discovery, and iterating based on insights.
Here are some experiments you could lead:
- PushBlack has grown to 4M subscribers primarily from subscribers sharing the platform with their friends. We're considering launching a super-sharer rewards program to incentivize more sharing; you'd need to test various tactics and messages to determine what gets subscribers to share more.
- We seek to expand our merchandising efforts. You'd determine whether or not there was a profitable approach to selling merchandise on our site.
- Instagram has skyrocketed in growth and engagement, especially with Black Americans. You'd need to quickly figure out how to build an audience on the platform.
- Quantitative Data Analysis - you can analyze large data sets and distill insights with ease using Excel
- A/B Testing - designing, implementing, and analyzing
- Customer Discovery - you’ve collected customer data to inform business decisions
- Project Management - you’re extremely comfortable with concurrent projects [experiments] and meeting tight deadlines
- You’ve launched a social good venture, business, or new program within an organization before and know what it’s like to build something from scratch and weather the ups and downs.
- You buy into the idea that we, the PushBlack team, take subscriber insights seriously and that it’s only after we gather information from them that we can learn what works and what doesn’t work.
- You’ve ran focused, carefully designed tests to understand how to increase impact or revenue, and you’re well versed in at least one experimentation methodology (e.g., lean startup, design thinking, human-centered design, or agile development).
The couch, a coffee shop, the local coworking space--either way, our team is 100% remote.
Please complete this application to share your resume and answer a few questions.
PushBlack is housed at Accelerate Change, a project of New Futures Fund, Inc., which is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.