PushBlack is the nation's largest media advocacy organization for Black Americans, currently serving 9 million people monthly across all platforms. We use the power of narrative, especially Black History, to educate and activate our subscribers to build their personal power and create lasting economic and political change.
In 2020, PushBlack grew to 5.6M subscribers on Facebook Messenger and 455K followers on Instagram. We also ran the nation’s largest GOTV campaign for Black Americans. In May 2020, we launched Black History Year, our critically-acclaimed podcast, which has received over 1M unique downloads.
We‘re hiring a diligent Writer who can use their creative storytelling skills to help us make Black history more compelling than it’s ever been. The Writer will research Black history and current events, write content, help run experiments, and perform light data analysis to identify the best ways to boost subscriber engagement. That might be through new approaches to how we write, better images, better sharing experiences, or something new they want to try.
They will pitch stories during weekly meetings and to their supervisor, and write compelling, engaging Black history and current events stories using PushBlack’s data-tested format.
- Produce a minimum of 8 stories per week and collaborate with the editorial team to revise and finalize content.
- Pitch new ideas weekly to the editorial team by sourcing current events and other related research to a relevant topic area.
- Gather and analyze data based on experimentation and testing content published in Ads and broadcasts.
- Assess audience engagement data to speed up our learning and subscriber growth as well as discern the most cost-effective ways to acquire, and retain, subscribers.
- Conduct research on your assigned monthly topics to create unique, quality content.
- Follow content trends and generate new ideas to draw our audience's attention.
- Learn our unique voice and writing style to ensure continuity across all content.
- Utilize our comprehensive content delivery process to meet 100% of your deadlines.
- Strong storyteller with experience in fiction, historical fiction, and/or creative non-fiction.
- Ability to promptly produce clean and concise copy.
- Deadline driven with excellent time management skills - you meet your deadlines and help others achieve the same.
- Fast learner and receptive to feedback.
- Experience using research and data to inform content production.
- Experience in or have demonstrated interest in Black history and/or Black liberation.
- Familiarity with Google Suite applications.
- Copyediting experience a MAJOR plus
- Historical research experience
- Remote work experience and familiarity with Slack, Trello, and/or other online productivity tools
- Whether you love your couch or your desk, it doesn’t matter. We’re 100% Remote!
- Great benefits that include medical, dental, and vision.
- PTO, Sick and Holiday Leave.
- 401K Retirement Savings w/ tiered match.
- Parental leave benefits.
- PushBlack observes Juneteenth as a national holiday.
- $400/month work-from-home, taxable stipend in lieu of coworking reimbursements and phone/internet reimbursements.
- $1750 total professional development budget annually, of which $500 can roll over each year.
PushBlack is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people are centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.